Study Abroad with a Scholarship from the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program!
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1st 2016 @ 11:59 PM CST
- Applicants must be eligible to receive Federal Pell Grant funding or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application.
- Applying/Accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the U.S.
- Studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks (28 days) in one country – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year.
- Special restrictions apply to countries on the Department of State’s Travel Warning list.
- Scholarship awards up to $5000 for study abroad programs
- Applicants studying a critical need language in a country in which the language is predominantly spoken will automatically be considered for the Critical Need Language Award, for a total award of $8,000.
HOW TO APPLY: Create an online account and provide the following information:
- Application Data: This includes personal information, institution information, transcript upload, information on your study/intern abroad program and previous international experience.
- Essays: You are required to submit two essays as part of your application, a Statement of Purpose and Follow-on Service Project Proposal (explaining how you plan to use your experience to give back to other students). These essays must be less than 7,000 characters.
- Certifications from the applicant’s study abroad and financial aid advisor. (Due March 8th)
For More Information:
Composing Competitive Gilman Scholarship Application Essays Webinar: Wednesday, February 24th, 4:00pm-5:00pm CT
For questions, applicants may visit the program FAQ page or contact program representatives by phone or email:
Contact according to your last name:
|A – D||E – K||L – Q||R – Z|