Marúawe! — (Hello in the Comanche Language)
This message contains information about Running Strong’s Dreamstarter Grant Program!
For the next 5 years, Running Strong will provide ten $10,000 grants each year to community non-profits who will mentor a young Dreamstarter and work with them to implement a project inspired by the young person’s dream for her or his community. The Dreamstarter program is in its second year, and the theme for this year’s projects it Arts & Culture!
To apply, youth must work with a mentor organization to submit all required materials by December 14th, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST.
Eligibility Requirements for Youth Applicants:
- Be under the age of 30 at the time of application deadline
- Be an enrolled member of a current or terminated federal or state Indian Nation and able to provide documentation
- Must agree to be featured by name in photos, videos, and written stories on the Running Strong website and other materials
- Commit to participating in the four-day Dreamstarter Academy training program
- Must agree to provide monthly project updates and work with Running Strong staff to create blog posts describing your project
- Must complete a final report and evaluation with your mentor organization at the end of the project.
Youth applicants must work with their mentor organization to submit the following materials by Monday, December 14:
- A completed, signed application form;
- Two references for both the applicant and the mentor organization;
- Signed mentor and applicant consent forms; and
- The following documents:
- A proposed budget for your Dreamstarter project;
- Proposed timeline for your project;
- Copy of applicant’s Certificate of Indian Blood or tribal enrollment card
- IRS tax exemption letter from your mentor organization
- Photo of the Dreamstarter applicant (that’s you!) along with 1-3 photos of your community or project idea
- IRS W-9 form for your mentor organization
- Mentor organization’s most recent audit (if applicable)
If selected, applicants will receive:
- $10,000, which will go to the Dreamstarter’s mentor organization;
- $500 award granted to the Dreamstarter (youth applicant) once all necessary reporting is received; and
- An expense-paid trip to Washington, DC to participate in the Dreamstarter Academy, learn how to tell your story, meet your fellow Dreamstarters and also meet Billy Mills!
There are lots of pieces involved in this application, so contact your mentor organization and get started today! Applications are due by December 14, 2015.